Sunday, 14 September 2014

Documentary Analysis: Amy Winehouse What Really Happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMie1LZWdXg
2008 was the release of documentary ‘Amy Winehouse What Really Happened’ looking at the life of English singer songwriter Amy Winehouse famous for her strong vocals as well as her blend of numerous musical styles such as soul, jazz and R&B. She was a huge public focus for her psychological health problems and her drug abuse. Here Jacques Perett looks at Amy’s broken past from the divorce of her parents to her overwhelming dark love relationship which includes her intimate relationship with her husband Blake Civil-Fielder. Perett further explores the themes of sex, drugs and obsessive love. The film showcase interviews from close friends and beloved family. Jacques examines how Winehouse absorbs every emotional feeling she had lived through and carry that bitterness into her music. This documentary is also a compilation film and is of a biography genre as the focus is on a single person. Both these being something I want to produce I feel this documentary was a good decision to look at, in addition this documentaries focus is around music which is mine as well. 


I feel the target audience of this documentary is very broad as there is a different variety of people I believe would be interested in viewing this. One evident type of audience being the fans of Amy Winehouse this could be a fan of her music, image, interests or styles as Amy created a very unique and individual representation of herself which could have possibly enhanced her wealth and popularity as she was credited as something different in the industry. One other type of audience which may be interested in this documentary may be a person who is interested in the effects and harm drugs can cause e.g. a scientist or psychologist. On the other hand a person who takes recreational drugs may be interested in viewing this documentary as it can provide them with facts which may encourage them to stop this dangerous habit; therefore in ways this documentary may be considered to be influential. Both types of audiences I believe are credible to be considered to be the target audience, although they greater differ from each other I feel this documentary is one which would be interesting to both. 



Much like in 'JLS: Revealed' this documentary contained similar aspects which again I was interested in using when creating my documentary. This documentary again uses a Voice of God (VoG) narration which for the subject of this documentary is essential. The subject matter in this case is drugs which some viewers may believe is a sensitive topic to discuss, the VoG narration 'softens' the subject by talking about the matter in a formal mono tone format. I think non-diegetic voiceovers are an amazing aspect to have in a documentary as it can further explain what is being shown/spoken about on screen in a more in depth format with a sensitive approach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment