Friday, 24 October 2014

Target Audience

When creating my documentary I had to ensure I was able to understand the audience demographic; this helped me to understand who my documentary should be targeted at and what elements I should include in order to present this. After conducting research I made the final decision to produce a documentary on an up and coming performer in the industry, documentaries which inspired me to make this decision included ‘JLS Revealed’ ‘1D One Direction: This is Us’ and ‘Justin Bieber: Never Say Never’. My documentary focuses on a young teenage girl inspired by to follow her ambition of becoming a performer, therefore I feel the target audience of this documentary will be very similar to the audience of Emma herself. Theoretically I believe Emma’s audience would be teenage girls who inspire very much to be like her. A number of artists in the music industry I feel Emma’s character can be equated to is Ariana Grande, Ellie Goulding and Ella Henderson. The idea of the documentary is to inform Emma’s fan base about her past life and her journey to get to the position in which she is in today; in addition to this I hope it inspires her fans and creates a larger fan circle and makes Emma appear as a more up and coming artist. These are the reasons why I feel targeting the documentary at this demographic is crucial for the success of the film.

The main primary audience I am focusing on is teenagers both males/females aged between 12-19; however I am specifically targeting females due to the fact Emma herself is a female and I feel she would be a more influential figure to people of the same sex as her. There is no specific social group/ethnicity that the documentary will be intended for as every person has an ambition despite their status and race. I hope as well as the primary audience this documentary would attract people from other ages and gender who show an interest in performing and the music industry. The secondary audience for this documentary would be people who watch this documentary with the primary audience; therefore in this case it might be friends, boyfriends, family members who are interested in this documentary from word of the youth.  In my opinion I think this film will essentially attract the middle/higher class as opposed to the lower class. If the documentary was first aired during prime time I feel this documentary would gain more popularity/recognition as this is the most popular time television is watched and when the most prevalent programmes are shown. It would be at a time when teenagers won't be at school/college and are most likely to be at home in order to watch this documentary.    

In terms of social grades I feel I am targeting people who fall under the C1 and C2 category as teenagers don’t tend to have a substantial income and watching a television documentary at home is something all can participate in despite their possible lack of money.  Or on the other hand if this film was to be released in cinemas it is a cheap activity to do with your friends and there are many cinemas surrounding peoples local areas. At this age any money that is earnt through a part time job can be spent on leisure activities as opposed to the working class and home owners who have to deal with bills and mortgages. In my opinion C1 and C2 are appropriate categories as when Emma progresses as a performer she may release merchandise and commercial products which would increase her status in the industry, these products I feel would appeal to a younger age category opposed to the older. Overall I feel the audience would be classed as spectators as they should all are interested in her performances. Finally hypothetically I feel my target audience would all have similar common interests to each other and to Emma herself; these interests would include fashion, make up and music. By pursuing my documentary at teenagers who have collective interests would hopefully enhance the popularity of my documentary as its more likely to be enjoyable for all the demographics in this specific category.     

No comments:

Post a Comment