Wednesday, 11 February 2015

Evaluation Question 3


Throughout the post production stages of my documentary it was essential that I gained feedback from my target audience, not only too improve my documentary but to check that it still appealed to my chosen demographics. Too ensure this I showed my documentary at regular intervals to a small group of my target audience, they were able to provide me with positive points and constructive criticism on how I could improve.

My documentary focuses on a young teenage girl inspired by to follow her ambition of becoming a performer, therefore I feel the target audience of this documentary will be very similar to the audience of Emma herself. Theoretically I believe Emma’s audience would be teenage girls who inspire very much to be like her. The main primary audience I am focusing on is teenagers both males/females aged between 12-19; however I am specifically targeting females due to the fact Emma herself is a female and I feel she would be a more influential figure to people of the same sex as her. There is no specific social group/ethnicity that the documentary will be intended for as every person has an ambition despite his or her status and race. I hope as well as the primary audience this documentary would attract people from other ages and gender who show an interest in performing and the music industry. 

In terms of social grades I feel I am targeting people who fall under the C1 and C2 category, as teenagers don’t tend to have a substantial income and watching a television documentary at home is something all can participate in despite their possible lack of money.  In my opinion C1 and C2 are appropriate categories as when Emma progresses as a performer she may release merchandise and commercial products, which would increase her status in the industry, these products I feel would appeal to a younger age category opposed to the older. In terms of psychodynamics I believe my documentary would attract a number of categories. The first category being spectators as their may be particular viewers who are just watching for entertainment purposes alone, maybe because there is nothing else on television etc. Another category I feel would interest my audience would be joiners, as many watching the documentary may aspire to be in Emma’s position. Due to Emma being a young successful artist there are probably going to be many viewers who wish to be in her position. The final type of psychodynamics who I believe would watch the documentary are critics as the music industry is one watched closely by critics/journalists etc. to find out the latest gossip.

Before presenting my production I made sure I had responded to any to feedback that I had previously been given to make my documentary as success it could be. Feedback included checking sound levels etc. After presenting my documentary to the class my teacher provided me with a list of feedback and allowed me time to make these amendments, some of these were minor and some were major which meant I had to re film. One point, which was stressed as an issue, was large gaps in the footage that I was advised to fill with establishing shots/ shots, which related to the topic of speech. Due to my feedback two essential changes I made were re filming the interview with Amy and Anais due to the quality of the footage being poor, I agreed with this point and believed it was a high priority of mine. I was also told to consider to refilm the interview with the manager as it was boring, this was something I had hoped to do however I wasn’t able to due to Liam being unavailable and running out of time. In order to solve this issue I added a non-diegetic soundtrack to the background of the footage and added some shots to break up the video so it didn’t appear to be boring and continuous. I took time to re film to voice over which I myself wasn’t happy with when presenting as it appeared to be dull and boring, in reflection a female voice fits the genre of the documentary a lot better than a male one (which I originally anticipated).




No comments:

Post a Comment